Monday, October 11, 2010

tales of a half marathon

My friend Megan sent me a card that said
"Life Begins at the End of your Comfort Zone."
Well, let me tell you, I was living on Sunday because I was so far out of my comfort zone
it was ridiculous.

You see, I completed my first half marathon!

I don't even like to run.
It is not easy for me, like, ever, and I just don't like it.
However, it is very good for me.
And I LOVE a challenge.
Plus I love how I feel after I run.
Healthy and productive and proud.
So, I decided to see if I could finish a half marathon.

And I can.

Let me give you a run down of the day.

Chris was out of town, so Ellie and I spent the night with Jen and her family so we could get up early and go and her husband could bring Ellie with their kids and I didn't have to wake E up at the butt crack of dawn.
That helped a lot.
Only problem?  I had to sleep with Ellie, which means, I got about 1.5 hours of sleep due to feet in my face and making sure she didn't roll out if bed.
Fun.

We wake up, get ready, and head to the start of the race.
I had been a nervous wreck for about 3 weeks prior to the race and this was the part I was dreading most.
That wait at the race, before it started.
I knew that was when I would be most nervous.
And I was right.
I knew once I started running I would be fine, but that wait was torture.

Finally, the race gets underway and within the first 3 miles, my friends are far ahead of me.
As I knew they would be.
They are a lot faster and more experienced than me.
And I am ok with that.

I have to tell you, miles 4-10 were the best time I have ever had running.
It was a beautiful day.
We were running on the towpath, through the woods.
And everything was glorious.
I could hear birds and water and the pounding of feet all around me.
It was really nice.
Megs was at the turnaround, cheering us on and that was a great boost.

But then, about mile 11, someone put a brick wall right in the middle of the path.
And I ran smack dab into the middle of it.
(ok, there wasn't really a wall there, but there might as well of been cause that's how I felt.)
And this wall was solid! 
You see, I had never run more than 10 miles, so after I had passed that distance, I was in
unchartered territory.
I was hydrated.  I was fed.  My body was feeling good and then
BAM!

My body was done.
Toast.
Kaput.
Finished.
It totally betrayed me.
I could hear it saying
"Um, we have gone 10 miles.  This is far enough.  You need to stop now."

So the last 2.1 miles was, um, challenging.
I just kept thinking
"don't pass out!"
"You will totally ruin someone else's race if they have to stop and help you!"
I didn't pass out but I was hurting.
I stopped and walked a little
drank some more water
had a little gu
said a little prayer
talked to my mom
and survived.
But let me tell you what...
I was scared.

But then, the finish line was ahead.

I knew I was behind the time I wanted. 
Running slow.
But by that point, I was so relieved I was almost done
I couldn't have cared less.
 As I am running up, there are Megan and Jen and Xander and Ellie and Enzo and Sascha.
"GO TIA!"
"You can do it Tia!"
I high fived my daughter and crossed the finish line.
A great finish to a good race.

Check it off the bucket list.

Here are a few pictures from the day.

This was where they were standing at the finish.
There I am!  WAAAAAY back there.  But I am coming.  I am ALMOST DONE!
The runners.  2 of us look great.  1 of us looks like we're gonna pass out.
I was a little shaky at the finish.  Felt light headed and just, weird.  After some sitting and water, I perked right up.

Am I glad I did it?
YES!

Am I proud of myself?
YES!

Will I ever do it again?
NO! I don't think so.

I think I will be sticking to 10ks from now on.
6.2 miles is plenty for this girl.

Oh, and as a last note...
I am really trying to get over the fact that the winner of the marathon beat me.
Meaning he ran 26.2 miles 2 minutes faster than I ran 13.1.
Damn.
That is fast.
I will say, that as he passed me at mile 12.9 he was moaning.
As bad as I was feeling, I wasn't moaning!
So there!  Mr. Fast Marathon Man!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

GREAT way to end the post! I'm lauging at how I would react if I heard moaning approaching me :o) That is SO awesome that you finished and did NOT give up!! Congrats!

shelley c. said...

I am SO impressed with you. I can't even IMAGINE running that far, much less after hitting that wall!! :) You should be so proud of yourself.

abby said...

Well done!! I signed up to do the mini marathon in Indy next May...and I am wondering if I will actually be able to do it. I hope I can do as you did and finish!! (And not pass out!)

C. Beth said...

Yaaaaaay! I'm so excited for you, proud of you, and looking forward to hopefully following in your footsteps in less than 2 months! :)

Molly said...

Woo hoo!!!!! You rock!!!!!!

Where you would beat me is that you hit the wall and kept going. I don't have the ability to make myself keep going. I would have just stopped! So I am doubly impressed....not only that you finished but that it was really hard and you finished! :)