Tuesday, October 5, 2010

4 year old reality

Who knew that 4 was the new 14? 
I sure didn't. 
I expected to have a little girl for a bit longer. 

She changes clothes so often it makes my head spin.
"But Mom!  I have to wear all my clothes.  They are SO PRETTY!"

There are a boyfriend and girlfriend in her preschool class.
"Yeah.  They like each other.  They hold hands."
"I like Jimmy.  But just as a friend.  I don't want to hold his hand."
Thank goodness for that!

Shoes.  I could go on and on with this girl and shoes.
"They sparkle!  They are just like yours!  They have a little heel!"
And FYI, the ones with heels are dress up only!

Her hair.  Her crowning glory.  My nightmare.  She is the tenderheadist kid I ever did meet.
"Ouch!  You are HURTING ME.  You are so mean!"

Her attitude.  OHDEARGODINHEAVEN.  Her attitude.
"I will not do that.  Cause I don't want to.  So there!"
"I am the boss!"
I have learned the calmer I remain, the shorter the episode.  Remaining calm, however, is very very hard. 
I have found that "time-out"s do not work. 
Throwing away a toy works. 
Not hiding it in the closet for a week. 
Throwing it away
Forever.
She doesn't like that.

There are some days where I am walking out as Chris walks in.
To regain some sense of calm. 
She can push my buttons, this one.
The teenage years scare the heck out of me.
I am going to have to send her somewhere else to live.

Of course, we have our good moments too.  Those are what I live for.
The cuddles under the blankets. 
The "mama, I love you more than unicorns!"
The days she actually wears matching clothes.
The "mama, this is the best day ever!"
The baking days, both of us in our aprons.
These are the moments I hope to remember.

Luckily, there is much more good than bad. 
The bad just seems to last longer.

4 comments:

C. Beth said...

Yes, I think our daughters may be related. :) They are so awesome (and sometimes they throw awesome tantrums--ugh!)

Shannon said...

I'm just happy to have the "opportunity" to have the girly hormones times TWO... They are already starting in with the "That's MINE!" J also says, "Mom, I'M the boss... right?" We are young moms for a reason, I guess!

shelley c. said...

Amen, sister.

forever folding laundry said...

Girls really are never boring, huh!

It's a good thing they're cute, right? :)

~Keri