Monday, June 18, 2012

my guy

This is a story about a guy.
He grew up way out in the country.

Where there were more dogs than people.

He didn't have a whole bunch growing up.
But he did have a mother and a grandmother who loved him.
And a younger sister and brother.
He didn't have a dad.

He wasn't given much of a chance through high school.
He was overlooked.
It's a shame, really.
They had no idea what they were missing.
I saw it.
Even at 15 I knew he would be something special.

In college, he bloomed.
I think it was then that he realized he could do any damn thing he wanted.
And he did.

He is smart, this guy.
Smart in a way that most people don't even understand.
He can meet someone and know, instantly, what kind of person it is.
He is comfortable in any situation.
He gets things.
He knows what he wants, and the best way to get it.

He is a rock solid friend.
He is the guy you would call in the middle of the night if you were stranded on the side of the road.
Or in jail.
And he would be there.
Without question.
He is brilliant on the computer.
Even more brilliant on the golf course.
And gives a mean back rub.
He plays volleyball on Tuesday evenings and basketball on Friday mornings.

When he puts his hand on the small of my back to lead me into a room...
dear heavens, I swoon.
Still.
After almost 20 years.

As a father, he is without equal.
I don't know if his lack of one has anything to do with it or not.
I don't care.
All I know is that our girl has a good Daddy.
He plays.
And knows how to tease just right.
He sneaks her snacks when I'm not looking.
And takes her on dates.
He still gives her shoulder rides, even though she is getting too big for them.
He knows.
He knows that it is going so fast, and he wants to get them in while he can.
However, he is not perfect.
He can frustrate me to no end.
He leaves soda cans all over the house.
Has a short fuse.
Has more shoes than any man I know.
Has no tolerance for stupid, whatsoever.
And he likes circus peanuts.
Gross.
 I wouldn't trade him for all the tea in China.

There is no one I would rather spend time with.
No one I would rather argue with.
No one I would rather parent with.

He is mine.
All mine.
I am so lucky.

So lucky.

I love you, Babe.

Happy Father's Day.
And Anniversary.


4 comments:

Denise said...

beautiful words to your husband.

our lives (his and mine) sound similar. no one to model parenting to us...
BUT GOD.
both of us so passionate about parenting.

may God continue to lead your husband to be the father he has written him to be for His glory.

Jessilyn said...

I love your photo's, my favorite being the feet one : ) Wonderful post!

Amber Davis said...

He's also a wonderful brother-in-law (best one I have haha).

Also, I think the circus peanut and pop can thing must run in the family.

forever folding laundry said...

I love what Denise said. So true!

How lucky Ellie is to go through life with a
dad that is present and loves her,
and how lucky you two are to have each other.
This is such a beautiful post.

And as for the circus peanuts...
we all have our character flaws.
{gag}
:)

-keri