Sunday, May 11, 2008

mother's day

Today is Mother's Day. Since today is all rainy and yucky, we celebrated yesterday. Chris surprised me with an antique oak ice chest I have had my eye on and then took Ellie out for some fun so I could have some time to myself in my house. It is amazing how much I took that for granted! I read my book and took a nap. It was pure bliss. He is the best husband ever!

Today we went to breakfast and I had a belgian waffle and 4 slices of the best bacon ever. I mean, it was heavenly. Of course, now I can't eat til Tuesday because I probably consumed 4,000 calories, but it was worth it.

The real reason for this blog is to say out loud that I really miss my mom. People assume that since a lot of time has passed, I am probably ok, and for the most part I am, but days like today are hard. Really, really hard. So, in honor of my wonderful mother (who left way too soon and would be so proud of her granddaughter) here is a list of all the things I miss most about her.

She told me everyday that she loved me and gave the best hugs.
She made the worlds best mac and cheese.
Her love of adventure. We would take trips into the country and just drive to see what we could find.
She put vegetables in everything. Chris hated this. The first time we had him over for chili he laughed and said "this isn't chili, it is vegetable soup!"
She would make me raise my arms by telling me she wouldn't love me if i didn't. When I did, she would tickle me. She did this even after i was married. I always raised my arms though.
Her armpits didn't stink. Ever. She would work for hours outside, or play 18 holes of golf in the July heat, and nothing. How do I know this? She would tell me to smell them. And I would! She was very proud of her unstinky armpits.
She had the most beautiful hands.
She loved robins and hated rabbits. They ate her flowers.
On all road trips, we had to look for "scenics" and play cat and dog.
Our song was the theme song to "Cheers".
She and my father fought by beating each other with rolled up newspaper. Try it. It doesn't hurt and you really can't stay mad at each other while doing this.
When I was little, we would almost always stop and play if I saw a playground. Now that I am a mother who has a little one who asks to stop and play, I know how hard that must have been. There is always so much to do!
She made me move far away. I didn't want to go. She said it would be good for me and she was right. That had to be hard for her to do. I hope I am that strong for Ellie.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the gist.

She was wonderful and I am lucky she was mine!

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mother's in my life!

No comments: