Tuesday, August 14, 2012

the little things


I lit candles for dinner tonight.
With meatloaf.
On a Tuesday.

Cause why not?

My mother always said
"who better than us?"

She was right.

Chris asked what the occasion was.
Ellie thought it was special.
It somehow made meatloaf exciting.

As I think about it, there are lots of little things we do, not cause we have to, but because we want to.
They are the things that make us a family.

For example, if I am out late, Chris almost always puts toothpaste on my toothbrush.
If I put my feet in his lap, he will rub them.
He always always always offers me the first drink of whatever he is drinking.
And he keeps my gas tank full.

I leave the occasional love note somewhere he will find it.
Make sure he never runs out of low carb snacks.
I buy him gray and blue shirts only, cause that what he likes.
And put circus peanuts in his stocking, even though I think they could gag a maggot.


Ellie throws out random "mama, I love you's" all the time.
And randomly leaves us notes.
And puts up with our shenanagans, when we are trying to embarrass her, by say, singing at the top of our lungs to kids songs with a friend in the car.

The little things we do are usually the biggest things of all.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

<3 This is so sweet, & inspirational.

I bought hubs a shirt today that's based on the Firefly/Serenity TV series/movie. That's definitely love in our house.

Shannon said...

"Who better than us" LOVE it.