Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a day in the woods

I am gonna take every little thing this summer has to offer.
For some reason, starting real school in the fall makes this one seem like the last.
Isn't that silly?

Today, my girl and I headed into the woods.
You know how every child goes through phases, the good and the bad?
We are in a real real good one right now.
She is kind.
And thoughtful.
And funny.
And sweet.

What is it about green space and water that makes everything better?
Makes you forget whatever it is you are worried about.
And just be?

We walked and talked.
And looked for birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.
 We told secrets.
And wished wishes.
 We were both brave.

 And then very proud of ourselves.
 We giggled.
And made funny faces.
And climbed to places we shouldn't have been.
 We planned for the days to come.
And then went for ice cream.
It was a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

I love it. My goodness, it's beautiful out there! And if I dare to laugh at you being snowed in during the winter, remind me of how JEALOUS I was, seeing you wearing hoodies in June! :)

Toni said...

Looks like a fun day! Very pretty!