Wednesday, July 29, 2009

an interesting morning adventure

So I was looking for something fun and free for Ellie and I to do earlier this week. I was online scrolling through the options and ran across Lakeview Cemetery. Supposedly one of the prettiest spots in the city, resting spot to important people such as President Garfield and Eliot Ness, who brought down Al Capone. So, off we headed to explore the cemetery, right in the middle of the city, picnic packed, sunscreen on!

It was glorious! I had no idea this little gem existed. What a peaceful morning. We will definitely be going back. So sit back and enjoy the pictures. There are bunches.

Ellie found a walking stick to help her up the big hills.


One of the hundreds of beautiful statues.

I want to be buried is something like this. Fantastic!


On a rock, cause we always end up on a rock somewhere.

Wade Chapel. Tiffany (of Tiffany Lamps) designed the entire interior of this chapel. One of only 4 in the country done exclusively by him. Very cool. The volunteer on site was very interested in filling us in on all the goodies and let Ellie shine a flashlight to highlight the work. She thought that was cool.
The Tiffany window inside.

Next we headed to the Garfield Memorial.

But first we had a little lunch. Our current fave are these little pretzel balls. Delicious!


Kissin'

The memorial from our lunch spot.

Great little carving on the side.

Ellie looking up in wonder.

Climbing up the step to see what was inside.

The man himself.

Great shots I captured in the stairwell. For some reason, I LOVE THESE!



The city from the top of the monument. By the way, there were spaces up there that Ellie could totally fit through and fall to her death. We didn't stay long. I took this pick with a death grip on her arm.

Checking out other areas of the cemetery.

Playing hide and seek. Sacrilage? Perhaps. But you have to admit, it is a great place to play hide and seek. I did keep her from jumping and climbing on the headstones. I mean, I do have some morals.

Took this while I was hiding. Just another great statue.

An infant boy was buried here. I told Ellie it was a baby and she get really sad and reflective.
"Can babies really die mommy?"
Oy. A conversation for another day.


So, if you have a cemetery in your town, pack a lunch and go. It's well worth the trip.





















No comments: